Sunday 12 May 2013

Mary Berry's chocolate tray bake with a vanilla frosting

Following on from the lemon tray bake, here is the chocolate one! I used Mary's tray bake recipe for the cake and used a vanilla frosting from The Hummingbird Bakery. The chocolate cake went down VERY well with the children and was again really easy to make. You can use any frosting you like or just sprinkle icing sugar over the top. I used some coloured sprinkles and chocolate drops to decorate.

For the cake:
Roasting tin 30cm x 23cm
275g self-raising flour
2 level teaspoons baking powder
4 level tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons hot water
225g softened butter
225g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon milk

For the frosting:
160g butter
500g icing sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
50ml whole milk

Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line your tin.
Blend together the cocoa and hot water the allow to cool slightly. Measure all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat until well blended.
Turn the mixture into the tin and level out. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until the cake has shrunk a little from the sides and the sponge springs back when pressed gently in the centre. Leave to cool a little in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.


To make the frosting, whisk the icing sugar with the butter in a large bowl (this can get a bit messy!). When it reaches a sandy consistency, add the vanilla essence and milk, then continue whisking until smooth and fluffy.

Smooth onto the cake. You can decorate it however you like, I added some sprinkles and choccy drops. Trim the edges if you like, then cut into squares. Serves about 25.



9 comments:

  1. Hi, stumbled across your blog looking for a chocolate tray bake. Unfortunately (& only after I'd baked the cake) did it occur to me that you have listed your cocoa quantities wrong - resulting in a really bland chocolate cake :-( I only realised when it was too late to start over (nor did I have enough ingredients in the cupboard for a second cake) - hopefully the kids at school won't notice. It's a shame because the actual bake was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Error made right! Thank you for pointing it out

      Delete
    2. Dear Lottie, I want to use your recipe because of the pedigree and the good reports but I'm still nervous about the cocoa quantity. Your recipe is dated May 13 and says 4 tblespns but it is not clear whether this is as amended by you in October. Please reassure me.

      Delete
    3. Hi Ted I am so sorry for the late reply, I have had issues logging into my blog...anyway yes the recipe has been updated with the correct quantities of cocoa. Sorry again for the late response. Hope you try the bake out, let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Just made for my 4 year old twins. Complete success with children and adults alike. a good tray bake recipe is always good find. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you for letting me know! I am glad it tuned out well and was enjoyed by everyone :)

      Delete
  3. Made with my daughter for a children in need traybake for school turned out great. She then decorated with chocolate buttons and smarties. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Lottie. I am about to attempt to make your cake for my son's Birthday tomorrow! I will let you know how I get on - I am using an Aga to cook it on! On another completely separate point, what font are you using for your blog, I absolutely love the loopy handwriting but am not sure if I can get it for my Mac! I would really appreciate knowing. Fingers crossed for me with my Aga baking! Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jacquie, how did the cake go down? I hope it was a success? I haven't cooked many cakes with an Aga so I hope it was yummy! The font is 'Crafty Girls' which was an option on the blogger site so I'm not sure if it is available on Macs? Please let me know how the cake turned out, I'd be interested to know how it did in the Aga!
    Happy baking x

    ReplyDelete